...Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting...
-Dr. Seuss

Saturday, September 15

A Walk Down Heritage Lane

It is so nice to be back in Dallas with an old friend who I hadn't seen in over two years.  Alex was the best man at our wedding.

It's an Al sandwich!

And of course Alex always has the most surprising and unconventional things planned for us to do. 

Today we visited the Dallas Heritage Village which is located in Dallas' first city park, pretty close to the heart of the city.  It is a collection of 19th century buildings, from pioneer homesteads to Victorian houses to an old brick bank, and each is decorated with period furniture and objects.  On the weekends a group of musicians gets together to play Old Time music (the big brother to Blue Grass). 

Nip and Tuck, resident donkeys

Sergei playing the Limber Jack with the band

Dagnabit, I wanted a sarsaparilla!
What the ef is vim??
After Heritage Village we stopped by the Dallas' Famers' Market.  It wasn't that interesting but I mention it because there were these enormous carrots for sale (cheap too!).  I generally like my veggies small and sweet rather than hoary and bitter.  But I'll be darned if these weren't the sweetest carrots I've ever eaten.  Hey, it must be true what they say about Texas...
Om nom nom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alex knows what you two like!

My mom used to use the words vim & vigor meaning LOTS of energy!

Unknown said...

Alex knows how to entertain you two!

My mom used to use the words vim & vigor, meaning LOTS of energy!

Unknown said...

Sorry...I didn't know the first comment went through!