...Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting...
-Dr. Seuss

Sunday, September 9

Road Trip Day 1: Water Parks and Sand Storms

Today we embarked on our trip, first stop: Knott's Soak City Palm Springs.

I have a strange aversion to water slides generally, but if they aren't too "aggressively thrilling" (the description sported by many of ride signs in the park), and I get to go down on a raft I usually do okay. I had a fabulous time today, even on the scary rides! Their signature attraction is the Pacific Spin slide, which reminds me a lot of the Marble Works game I had as a child. There was one particular piece of that game that was like a half pipe for marbles, flinging them way up the sides until they finally ran out of steam and dropped through the little hole at the bottom. That is pretty much this ride. But I'm not going to lie, it was really fun. I think we did it like seven times.



Sergei, brave man that he is - or masochist - I'm not really sure which, rode the seven story Tidal Wave Tower a few times. I know, crazy right?  I will try to post a video soon...

We also splashed around the kiddie's Kahuna Beach House, relaxed in the Sunset River, and caught a few waves in Riptide Reef with the desert as a strangely juxtaposed backdrop.

We left a bright and sunny Palm Springs and headed East and somewhere around Blythe as the sun was just sinking down into the horizon behind us we hit a wall of sand. It was so bizarre because it went from clear and barely dusky to really dark and creepy in an instant. It didn't last too long, and luckily it seemed all the weird weather was headed West.



In Phoenix we stopped at a Supermercado de Walmart. That's a new one for me.



 We are now looking for tent camping and hopefully will find something soon. More tomorrow as the adventure continues...

No comments: