...Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting...
-Dr. Seuss

Thursday, September 20

Canoe Fail 2.0

Canoeing the Spring River is sort of tradition for Sergei and I.  We used to float the river pretty frequently when we lived here and were always proud to say that we had never flipped (except that one time when I was drinking whiskey.  That was the time I woke up in Missouri.  It's a long story but I take full responsibility for capsizing the canoe.  I also learning my lesson.  Drinking is fun and canoeing is fun, but I don't think they are fun together). Anyway, we can no longer say we haven't flipped a canoe.

NOAA said 30% chance of rain but there was hardly a cloud in the sky.  What an absolutely gorgeous day.  Save for a few fly fishers we had the river to ourselves.  We saw two bald eagles and that was a first for me in Arkansas. 

I think the canoe had a slight leftward list although Sergei denies it.  We were going over the first section of baby rapids and flipped.  Flipped to the left mind you and went right into the 58F water.  I'm telling you it was the canoe.  After that I was able to compensate by leaning to the right and then we were fine the rest of the day.  Even down dead man's curve.  

But it was so much fun, even that small set back was just part of our adventure.

"He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk" -- Benjamin Franklin

Before the flip.

Solitude. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Didn't you FREEZE after falling in that 58 degree water? I have never had good experiences with canoes...